Duration : 06 days
Difficulty : Easy - Moderate
Start / Finish : Kathgodham
Nearest Town : Almora
Day 01: Assemble Time & Point will be 06:30 A.M. at Kathgodam Railway Station.
Day 06: Drop-off Time & Point will be 06:30 P.M. at Kathgodam Railway Station.
Brahmatal is a classic winter trek, however, can also be done in the summers, the trek leads you to a beautiful lake at over 10,000 Feet and eventually we summit the peak nearby called Brahmatal Peak, the trek is perfect in winters as the lake freezes and the background is lined by seven thousand of the mighty Himalayan Range. The trek is made even interesting as the route of going and coming back is different and hence offering new views every day.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation (Camping) during trek on sharing basis (Triple/quad/dorm).
- 02 Nights accommodation in lohajung ( Guest house / Hotel / Home stay).
- 03 Nights tented accommodation on triple sharing basis.
- All Veg meals from Dinner on Day 1st to Breakfast on Day 6th.
- Basic First Aid and Medical Kit with Oxygen Cylinder and Oximeter.
- Morning, evening Tea/ Coffee served with light snacks during the trek.
- All necessary fees and permits for Indian.
- Qualified and experienced Trek Leader and support staff.
- Surfaces transfer from Kathgodam to Kathgodam as per the itinerary
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any Meals During Transit.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
- All fees and permit for Non-Indian.
- Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag.
- Anything not mentioned explicitly in the above program.
- Unscheduled stay due to landslide.
- Cost Escalation due to “Force Majeure” and evacuation charges.
- The backpack cannot weigh more than 8 kgs. The backpack should have a waterproof cover. Suitcase/ Strolley Bags will not be allowed.
- The charges for backpack offloading per bag will be Rs. 1500/- for the entire program.
Check list for Brahmatal Lake Trek :
- Backpack (Min 55 Ltrs): A good quality backpack from reputed brand and try it before buying.
- Floaters or Sandals: When you are at the camp they help to move freely
- Trekking Shoes: Always invest in a good quality trekking shoes, we recommend Forclaz 500 by Quechua. They are light weight, good grip, sturdy and easily available throughout India. Read more here How to Find Best Trekking Shoes
- 2 Pairs of Quick Dry Tees and Track Pants
- 1 Pair of good Thermals
- 3 Pair of Socks
- 2 Full Sleeve Sweater or Fleece Jacket
- One Heavy Jacket
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses
- Basic Lunch Box
- 2 Pair Woolen socks
- Woolen cap/monkey cap
- CAMERA with huge memory card and fully charged with extra batteries !!
People who wear spectacles-
Should avoid contact lenses and use photo chromatic glasses instead
Day 1: Kathgodam – Lohajung ( 225 kms /drive 10 hrs)
Lohajung serves as the base for Brahmatal Trek, the best way to reach Lohajung is to drive from Kathgodam, which is the nearest railway station. Once you reach Lohajung, you can see the beautiful Nanda Ghunti peak and if you are lucky enough to reach before sunset, the colors of Nanda Ghunti will stun you and you will fall for it the moment you see it.
Day 2: Trek from Lohajung to Bekaltal ( 5 Hours)
After breakfast we start our trek to Bekaltal. As you climb higher on this part of Brahmtal Trek, on your left you will be able to see the Kail Valley and magnificent views of Nandaghunti Peak. After around two hours, you will reach Begum, where you can rest for some time. From here, it is approximately 2 hours trek to Bekaltal. You can camp near the small adjacent lake Khopdaliya and rest peacefully in the serene atmosphere.
Day 3: Trek from Bekaltal to Brahmatal
The trail starts out of the campsite and begins to climb steeply into the Oak and Rhododendron forest. It opens up to a beautiful meadow. From here, it is a very gradual descent to Brahmatal. All through the days trek you will see the Almora, Nainital side of the valley. The big mountains in the vicinity are Trishul, Nanda Ghunti and rest are just there but yet to come into sight. During winter the entire Brahmatal winter Trek trail is covered in the snow and that makes Brahmatal Trek in December most sought after snow trek in Himalayas.
Day 4: Trek from Brahmatal to Brahmatal Peak (3,846 m) and return
Today is the most visually fascinating day of the entire trek. It starts with a 40 minute climb through the mixed forests. Trekkers head towards Brahmatal Top. Due to excessive snowfall in winters reaching summit becomes challenging and that is the fun of Brahmatal Winter Trek. As you reach the summit an entire panorama of mountains opens up. You have Nilgiri, Neelkant, Trishul, Nanda Ghunti, and Maiktoli stretching to some of the mountains of the Panchachuli range. You can fill your soul with the awe-inspiring views of greater Himalayas and become one with nature.
Day 5: Trek from Brahmatal to Lohajung
The descent from Brahamatal to Lohajung takes about 7 hours. After 20-30 minutes, you will reach Malling, which is outside the forest area and is a water source. After walking further for an hour, you will reach Burali, a small settlement with a few houses. From here, you will again find the stone laid Brahmatal trekking trail, which will lead you to Lohajung.
Day 6: From Lohajung to Kathgodam
Depart from Lohajung to Kathgodam for return journey to your next destination with beautiful mosaic of memories. So Don’t wait for the right moment. Seize this moment, pack your bags and embark on this marvelous trek.