About Chadar Trek:
The Chadar Trek or Zanskar frozen river trek is a winter trek in Zanskar Valley, Ladakh. The trek starts from Leh going through Shingra Koma, Tibb Cave, Naerak Camp concluding back in Leh. The 105 Km trek provides trekkers and hikers an amazing opportunity to trek on a frozen sheet of ice in subzero temperatures. The trek is operational during the months of January and February when the Zanskar river freezes into a solid sheet of ice.
Ladakh has various treks and beautiful camping locations. What sets Ladakh apart for travelers is the Chadar Trek which is quite challenging yet mesmerizing owing to its scenic beauty. That one glimpse of the topmost sections of the Himalayas would certainly awe an individual because of its breathtaking view.
The temperature during the trek varies from around -5 to -20 degrees celsius and the trekkers would occasionally face steep rocks along with facing treacherous sections of the Zanskar River. While this trek would offer a lot of difficult challenges, to the maximum point of questioning oneself, one would find all the answers once you observe and become a part of the Mighty Himalayas. And trust us, it would certainly be a life-changing experience.
What is included in the tour
- Expert mountaineering guide
- Skilled local staff who has ample knowledge of the route.
- Transportation from Leh to Trekking Point on Day 4 and back to Guesthouse to Leh on Day 8
- Vegetarian meals on the trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) starting on Day 4 Pack Lunch to Day 8 Breakfast
- Stay in Guest Houses on Triple/Quad sharing basis in Leh on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 8.
- Daily Breakfast starting from Day 1 to Day 9.
- Hot water in buckets shall be provided on request while staying in Guest House in Leh
- Stay in Alpine/Dome Tents on Triple/Quad Sharing basis on Day 4, Day 5, Day 6 and Day 7
- Common Kitchen/Dining/Toilet tents will be used during the trek
- Cooks/Helper and other requisite staff.
- Porters for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/groceries)
- Equipment – Tents on triple & quad sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mats
- Basic First aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
- Facility of keeping extra luggage at Leh when leaving for trek
- Airport pick up and drop
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal trekking equipment – like Gum Boots, trekking poles or sleeping bag liners
- Personal insurance or cost of emergency evacuation
- Purchases of personal natures (like mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages/chocolates/dry fruits etc)
- Personal Porters for carrying trekker’s backpacks @ INR 3750 Per 10 KGs for 5 days from Day 4 to Day 8 subject to availability at the time of booking
- Transportation when in Leh on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 8 and Day 9
- ALTOA Permission, wildlife tax, Environment Tax, Forest Permits and camping charges of INR 5000/- (The fee may be revised)
- Room Heaters at Guest House in Leh(We suggest not to use the room heaters as the same dehydrate the body and your body won’t get acclimatize to gear up for the Chadar trek)
- Cost of transport, meals and stay if in case you leave the trek in between and return to Leh before the schedule arrival on Day 8
- There is no centralized heating and Portable heaters provided.
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- GST (5%)
List of Essential items to carry for Chadar Trek
- Backpack (Min 60 Ltrs) with Rain Cover
- Gum boots
- 4 Pairs of Full sleeve shirts/T-Shirt and Track Pants (1 should be waterproof/windproof)
- 4 Pair of cotton socks. 3 pairs of wollen socks.
- 2 Full Sleeve Sweater
- One Heavy Down Jacket
- Thermal Inners -2 Pair
- 2 pair water proof hand gloves
- 2 Pair woollen Gloves
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking Stick (At least one)
- People who were spectacles- Should avoid contact lenses and use use photo chromatic glasses instead.
Day 1 : Arrival in Leh
Situated at an altitude of above 3500 meters from the sea level, Leh is the second largest district in the county offering varieties of high passes and different terrains. As most of the passes would be closed in the month of January and February, you would be required to reach Leh airport, which again is the highest airport in the world. Sounds fun. Right?
You would be welcomed by none other than the Leh weather, a mix of hot and cold breeze that will certainly catch your attention. Well, it is just not about this. As soon as you would start gazing all around, you will notice the peaks of the mountains covered with ice, Snow-Capped mountains all around. The view would certainly lock itself in your muscle memory. With all the formalities done and luggage picked up, hop-in in a taxi and head towards the pre-booked hotel. Get comfortable and relax overnight for the next day.
Day 2 : Acclimatization Day
Wake up early after spending your first night in Leh and kick-start the day by acclimatizing yourself at high altitude. You will then walk towards a sacred Buddhist Stupa, Shanti Stupa, to witness an all together beautiful sunrise along with capturing a panoramic view of the town of Leh. Remember to keep yourself hydrated as this would get your body ready for the upcoming adventure.
Day 3 : Medical check up(SNM Hospital) and Leh Market
This particular trek would need you to get a medical check up done at Sonam Narbu Hospital as the government has made it compulsory for all the trekkers to obtain a clearance certificate. We suggest you to improve your stamina and energy, for removing the thin line between your fitness level and the Great Chadar Trek.
Once it's done, you will have sufficient time to roam around in the market and try the local cuisine. Thukpa along with Kulcha and Qahwa(can you feel the heavenly aroma?) would go hand in hand.
Day 4 : Shingra Koma to Somo Paldar Campsite (3 km, 2 hrs)
After delicious breakfast, you would head towards Shingra Coma, a drive not for the timorous hearted as you will face a lot of hairpin bends with bumpy rides accompanying you and your fellow travelers. After a certain point, de-board from the vehicle and start trekking towards Somo Paldar campsite. Your Chadar Trek expedition starts here. Also, do not forget to keep your eyes wide open because the view will get your adrenaline rush flowing. Up for the magnetic view?
Day 5 : Trek to Tibb Cave (15 km, 6-7 hrs)
This morning will get you going to Tibb Cave which will provide you shelter for the night. In this 7-8 hrs stretch, you will witness various frozen waterfalls and you will also cross gorges and ravines. Butter tea would give you relief and we recommend you to try it. Spend your night waiting to witness the most scenic view of the region.
Day 6 : Tibb Cave to Naerak Camp (13 km, 6-7 hrs)
Today, you will be taking steps towards the most picturesque day of the entire journey that you have accomplished till now. You will be spellbound after witnessing the largest frozen waterfall and the prayer flags will get your heart humming. The bridge built next to the waterfall is used in summers to reach Zanskar from Leh. We camp at night in Naerak with locals and you would be surprised to see their way of living. Enjoy a cozy night.
Day 7 : Naerak to Tibb Cave (13 km, 5-6 hrs)
Start walking back to Tibb Cave and once again spend your night in the raw shelter. This night would let you capture all your thoughts and memories. Maybe, penning it down would be a good option. You would find locals wearing traditional woolen Gonchas(robes). Remember, the return trail would make you witness the river in a different form as it quickly reacts to any change in the temperature. The entire frozen river might have taken an all together varied form.
Day 8 : Tibb to Shingra Koma and back to Leh (8.5 km, 75 km drive)
Get ready to leave Tibb Cave and proceed to Shingra Koma via Gyalpo. This trail would not fail to surprise you as you will get a chance to witness high mountains along with footprints of wild animals like Snow Leopard, Foxes and Himalayan Ibex. And if you are really lucky, you might end up spotting them because they would surely be gazing at you. Silently.
After reaching Shingra Coma, drive back to Leh and stay overnight at the hotel.
Day 9 : Departure from Leh
They say that we conquer the mountains but honestly you would find enough reasons to conquer yourself. The journey would come to an end here as you once again get ready to depart and say goodbye after having your morning breakfast. You came here to cover the Chadar Trek but you will leave from here with all the energy and experiences with yourself.